As soon as you start to use a vape pen, you quickly realize the consumption method’s many benefits. Vaping is discreet, potent, and convenient to use on the go. Shortly thereafter, you may wonder how to clean a vape.
Routine cleaning of your vape is a great way to make them last longer. Plus, it helps maintain peak functionality and ensures vape safety.
So, what are the best ways to maintain your portable vaporizer so you can keep up with your vaping routine? Keep reading for a step-by-step guide on how to clean your vaping pen with top tips and best practices.
How To Clean A Vape Pen, Step-by-Step
Let’s jump right in and learn how to clean a vape pen step-by-step before we cover the reasons why it’s so important, and some best practices for success.
- The first step in how to clean a vape pen is to ensure the device is powered off and then dismantle the piece into its individual parts. Even though all devices differ slightly, you’ll want to expose any area you can by unscrewing the parts where residue can reach.
- Next, you’ll lightly soak a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and use the q-tip to wipe out any inner areas of the vape pen that have built-up residue. Be sure not to over soak your q-tip with the isopropyl alcohol as too much can leak into the pen mechanics and cause a short circuit.
- Once the chamber is thoroughly wiped down, dip another q-tip into isopropyl alcohol and clean the inside and outside of the vape pen mouthpiece.
- Last but not least, you’ll want to clean the pen’s magnetic adapters. With another q-tip lightly dipped in isopropyl alcohol, wipe the threads of the cartridge or mouthpiece and the bottom of the adapter. Use a paper towel to wipe all pieces dry before re-assembling.
- Once all of the parts are dry, reassemble your device, power on, and test by clicking the power button and heating the device.
- Voila! You’ve successfully learned how to clean a vape pen and can now enjoy its safe, clean use.
So, just why is keeping your vaporizing device clean so important to any consumer’s vaping routine? Let’s explore the benefits of cleaning vape pens, next.
Why Is Cleaning Vape Pens Important?
When you regularly clean your vaping device, you’re gaining a myriad of benefits. For one, it’ll keep your pen working better for longer as a buildup of oils, and residue can deteriorate its intricate parts and mechanics. Other benefits of cleaning vape pens are as below.
- Reduces the number of replacement parts you’ll have to purchase. Without cleaning your device regularly, power connections can be affected and batteries can die more quickly. By keeping up with a daily or weekly cleaning routine, you can protect the longevity and effectiveness of your device and avoid unnecessary re-purchasing.
- Increases safety, by reducing issues that come with the build-up of old cannabis oil and extracts. Even though vaping is seen as more ‘safe’ than smoking, any inhalation of old and grimy cannabis material may pose a risk to your health or safety.
- Improves performance, promotes easier draws and smoother hits, by avoiding a vape pen cartridge with no airflow that can occur due to clogging.
Not to mention, cleaning vape pens is simple and doesn’t take much time. So, there’s no good reason not to keep up with a regular routine of doing so. To help, keep a small vial or container of isopropyl alcohol with q-tips handy wherever or whenever you vape.
To get more in-depth on the upkeep of your device for long-term use we’ll cover how to clean the mouthpiece to the fullest.
How To Clean Your Vape Pen Mouthpiece?
The mouthpiece is one part that comes in contact with your lips and should be kept as clean as possible. It’s also one part that can become the most ‘unclean’ due to residues from the concentrates you’re inhaling, and your own mouth.
To ensure cleanliness, and avoid any health risks or issues, here’s a step-by-step way to clean your mouthpiece thoroughly.
- Remove the mouthpiece completely.
- Check the manual to ensure you can apply liquids to the mouthpiece without voiding any warranties, or negatively affecting its mechanics.
- Using a cotton ball, pad, or q-tip lightly dipped in isopropyl alcohol wipe down the outside of the mouthpiece.
- If your mouthpiece is made of glass, you can let it soak in a small Tupperware or Ziploc of warm water, salt, and isopropyl alcohol for a deeper cleanse.
- Before reattaching to your vape pen, rinse thoroughly with warm water and dry completely.
Next, here’s how you can give the battery of your vape pen a deep clean.
How to Deep Clean Your Vape Pen Battery?
The battery of your vaping device is one of the most essential parts to keep clean. As it supplies the power to the device that allows it to heat up, and create vapor for inhaling. To make sure your battery is in good, clean and in working condition, follow the steps below.
- Remove the battery from your vaporizer system.
- Wet a cotton ball, pad, or q-tip with isopropyl alcohol.
- Wipe down the connector of the battery where it attaches to the cartridge. This is a key area to keep clean, so the battery can make a solid, clean connection to the heating chamber or prefilled cart.
- To finish, lightly wipe the power button of the vape pen battery to clean out any residue and avoid clogging.
- Is there no need to dry it before use? This sounds a bit risky.
Now that we’ve covered how to clean your vape pen, its mouthpiece, and battery – what’s next? If your device contains coils for heating, it’s time to clean those next.
How to Clean Vape Coils?
The big difference between a pre-filled vape cart pen, wax pen vs dab pen is the presence of coils to heat the product. If your device is refillable and contains coils to heat concentrates and extracts, this is by far the most difficult part to clean and keep clean.
You’ll know your vape coil will need cleaning if –
- The flavor starts to taste more like burning
- The coils become darker in color
- The coils are leaking
- The device is producing smaller amounts of vapor than usual
The tricky part is, you can’t get the coils wet, or else it’ll cause them to burn out and cease from heating up. So, is there a good way to clean your vape coil? Not quite, but luckily you can replace the pen’s coils cost-effectively and easily when need be.
Depending on the amount of use, we recommend replacing your device’s coils every 2-4 weeks to keep them in clean, working order. If you’re not able to replace the coils, burn off the leftover residue by heating the pen repeatedly and inhaling until cleared.
How To Clean A Vape Pen Cartridge?
If you’re attaching a pre-filled 510 thread cartridge to your battery, it’s just as important to keep its parts clean. But luckily, it’s a lot more simple than cleaning a refillable chamber or mouthpiece.
To ensure your vape pen cartridge is clean, simply wipe the threads of the cart with a lightly soaked isopropyl alcohol q-tip. This allows the connection to remain strong with the battery you’ll connect it to.
You can use the same q-tip, or a new one, to wipe down the outer areas of the mouthpiece for ultimate cleanliness and effectiveness too. By cleaning your cartridge you’ll ensure smooth, clean hits that aren’t as susceptible to clogging.
Next, let’s move on to some of the most frequently asked questions on cleaning vape pens. Including, how often you should clean your vape, can vinegar be used, and is rubbing alcohol safe for vape pen cleaning.
How Often Should You Clean Your Vape Pen?
How often you clean your vape pen will ultimately depend on how often you use it. You’ll begin to notice signs like parts sticking together, a loss of or burning flavor, harder to draw hits, or a clogged pen altogether. But, don’t let it get this far.
Instead, set up a cleaning regimen in which you clean your device frequently. That might be every night if you’re a frequent user. Or, once a week if you consume less frequently. Or, every time you replace your pre-filled vape cart or refill the tank or chamber of your vape pen.
No matter what, keep in mind that taking a few minutes out of your day to clean your vape pen parts will help it last longer overall.
Common Vape Pen Cleaning Questions Answered
Can I Use Vinegar To Clean a Vape Pen?
If you’d rather choose an organic way to clean your vaporizer or vape pen, then you can substitute any of the step-by-step methods we provided with vinegar vs isopropyl alcohol.
Can I Use Rubbing Alcohol to Clean My Vape Pen?
As we’ve already suggested and to answer simply – yes, you can use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol to clean the parts of your vape pen. In fact, it’s one of the most effective ways to break up the built-up residue and clean your device’s parts completely.
Keeping Up With Cleaning Vape Pens
Now that you know how to clean a vape pen it’s key to keep up with doing so. Cleaning vape pens not only improve each experience with a clean, smooth hit but ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your device.
If you’re seeking the highest quality vape pen experience, O.pen’s got your back. Stay tuned for more vape pen education, and shop our collection of premium vape batteries, accessories, and more, now.