There is a constant battle that all vapers face: trying to vape as much as you want without breaking the bank. Buying vape cartridges can get very expensive, very quickly, which is why so many turn to refillable vape cartridges. For some, refillable vape cartridges can be intimidating, but avoiding these cartridges can stop you from significant savings.
Let’s take a closer look at exactly what refillable cartridges are, the best tips on how to refill and use them on a vape pen, and how to know when it’s time to replace a refillable vape cartridge.
What Are Refillable Oil Vape Cartridges?
Refillable oil vape cartridges are vape cartridges that can be filled with THC or CBD oil. These cartridges are growing in popularity because they are far more cost-effective than constantly rebuying disposable cartridges. They’re also better for the environment, since there is less waste.
If you think you’ve found one of the best strains of weed to vape, then a refillable cartridge is a great way to enjoy the oil without having to buy a bunch of disposables.
Why Should You Refill Your Vape Cartridges?
Like we said, using refillable vape cartridges saves you money and helps you produce less waste. However, here’s a word of caution: If you want to refill vape cartridges, you need to buy cartridges designed to be refilled. Disposable cartridges, even if you manage to actually refill them, are often made with low-quality materials and are not designed to be reused.
How to Refill Vape Cartridges
It might seem intimidating at first, but it’s really not hard! Here are the simple steps to refill a vape cartridge:
- Make sure the cartridge is removed from your vape battery.
- Unscrew the mouthpiece from the body of the vape cartridge.
- Using a syringe, slowly put the oil of your choice inside the cartridge. You should aim to have the oil drip down along the outer wall. Do not get oil in the middle chamber.
- After you have refilled the cartridge, screw the mouthpiece back on.
- Wait at least 15 minutes for the oil to settle into the correct position in the atomizer around the wick.
- After the oil has settled, you are ready to begin vaping again!
How to Use a Refillable Vape Cartridge?
Fortunately, using a refillable vape cartridge isn’t any different from using any other kind of standard, 510 threaded cartridge. Just to be sure, here are the basic steps you should expect to follow (though keep in mind these steps may vary depending on thet device you’re using):
- Make sure your vape battery has a full charge.
- Connect your cartridge to your vape battery. Since it’s 510 threading, it should just twist on. Make sure not to connect the cartridge too loosely or too tightly.
- Power on the vape battery. This is usually done by pressing the power button 5 times in rapid succession. (If you have a draw-fire device, this step will be skipped).
- Once the battery is turned on, press and hold the power button to take a hit. This will send a surge of power to the cartridge, which will produce vapor. If you have a draw-fire device, you won’t have a button to press.
- Take a hit off the pen. If the hit is too hot or too thin, try adjusting the temperature settings (if available).
- When you are done vaping, press the power button 5 times in rapid success again. This will turn the battery off. If using a draw-fire device, it will turn off automatically on its own.
How to Clean a Refillable 510 Cartridge
It’s incredibly important to clean your refillable cartridges before refilling them. This will help extend the lifespan of the cartridge and keep your vapor tasting great.
- Remove the cartridge from your vape battery.
- Twist off the mouthpiece.
- Using a cotton swab, gently clean the inside of the cartridge with rubbing alcohol.
- Clean until there is no more residue visible in the cartridge.
- Allow rubbing alcohol to evaporate.
- Screw mouthpiece back on for storage.
Why Choose a Refillable Vape Cartridge?
We mentioned this before, but you should not be refilling disposable vape cartridges. Disposables aren’t meant to be refilled or reused, which means you might even have to break it to open it and refill it. The parts in a disposable cartridge are also usually lower quality, since they are meant to have a much shorter lifespan.
Prefilled 510 Vape Cartridge vs Refillable 510 Vape Cartridge
Prefilled and refillable CBD and THC oil cartridges look similar (often, they are indistinguishable from one another). Both will have 510 threading, are often similar sizes, and have similar mouthpieces. A major difference is that prefilled cartridges come prefilled with oil, while refillable cartridges are usually sold empty so you can start with your preferred oil.
As we’ve mentioned, the construction quality is also different. Refillable cartridges are made with high quality components since they are meant to be repeatedly used and refilled. Prefilled cartridges are often made with cheaper parts, since they only need to last long enough to vape a single cartridge of oil.
Are 510 Vape Cartridges Refillable?
Not all 510 vape cartridges are refillable. If you want to refill them, you need to make sure you buy cartridges clearly labeled refillable. Other 510 vape cartridges may seem similar, but unless they are clearly designed to be refillable, you should not refill them. Even if you manage to get the cartridge without breaking it, your vaping experience will deteriorate quickly.
How Many Times Can You Refill a Vape Cartridge?
There’s not a set number of times you can refill a vape cartridge, though there are signs that a refillable cartridge may be at the end of its life. If the cartridge struggles to produce vapor (even when it’s clearly filled), if you notice your vapor doesn’t have the flavor it used to, or if it has a burnt taste that progressively gets worse, then it’s time to replace your refillable cartridge.
How Do You Know When Your Vape Cartridge Is Empty?
It can be tricky to tell if a vape cartridge is empty instead of just broken. Fortunately, most cartridges are clear, so if you see these signs and the cartridge looks empty, then try filling it up first! If you see these signs and the cartridge is full, then it might be time to replace it.
- There’s a burnt taste (if it’s empty, that means the heating element is burning instead of vaporizing oil)
- The vapor is thin, has little to no flavor, or it’s harder than usual to pull a hit from the pen.
- The device powers on, you feel heat being generated, but you can’t pull any vapor from it.
Refillable vape cartridges are an attractive solution for vapers looking to reduce waste and save money, all the while enjoying their vaping hobby to the fullest. If you’re thinking about getting a refillable vape cartridge, remember to grab a good vape battery (you can buy vape pens online pretty easily!)